Wireless bridging

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sat Jul 20 16:01:12 EST 2002

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Jeremy wrote:

> Has anyone tried bridging a wireless and  wired network?  I've just
> spent the whole night trying and it seems to be impossible.  The
> highlight was the point where I had the bridge interface responding to
> pings from both sides, but still not bridging.

Yeah, I talked about it at last CLUG meeting (or so). The way I got it
working is documented at:

http://www.stillhq.com/cgi-bin/getpage?area=prism2ap&page=index.htm

This site might go away for a little while this week as the colo
arrangements change...

Note that this isn't how I do it any more. This is because it mean
unencrypted traffic going out on my driveway. The way I do it now is:

 - wireless machines are in their own IP range with own DHCP server
 - wireless machines can all ssh to firewall (and that is all)
 - I use a ppp over ssh vpn for the wireless machines when I want to
   get to the big bad internet or wired network. Yay crypto.

Therefore there is no free wireless internet at my house. Sorry folks.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+10hrs