Debugging a mount problem

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 18 16:31:43 EST 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:56, Michael Still wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Brad Hards wrote:
> > > I have a Sony dsc p3. It has a USB oriface which on the W thing shows
> > > up as yet another drive. I've insmodded the usb-storage stuff, setup an
> > > fstab entry and plugged the camera in. I get a log message saying that
> > > it found a new disc in USB land called "sda".
> >
> > What is the mount command you are trying?
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/sda /mnt
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt ?

You can verify with fdisk if there is a partition table, but
I think my memory sticks came partioned. The msdos vs
vfat probably isn't the problem, but I just use vfat.

> > What does /proc/bus/usb/devices show?
>
> I don't have a /proc/bus/usb...
Turn on filesystem option in USB config. Then mount usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb
This isn't critical - likely the problem is the /dev/sda vs /dev/sda1 issue.

Brad
--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.