Debugging a mount problem

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Jul 18 11:56:02 EST 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Brad Hards wrote:

> > I have a Sony dsc p3. It has a USB oriface which on the W thing shows up
> > as yet another drive. I've insmodded the usb-storage stuff, setup an fstab
> > entry and plugged the camera in. I get a log message saying that it found
> > a new disc in USB land called "sda".

> What is the mount command you are trying?

mount -t msdos /dev/sda /mnt

> Is the machine hanging?

No, the mount command just never returns (and new mount commands freeze as
well).

> What does /proc/scsi contain (and what do the files contain)?

.
./usb-storage-0
./usb-storage-0/0
./scsi

./scsi contains:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Sony     Model: Sony DSC         Rev: 3.28
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

> What does /proc/bus/usb/devices show?

I don't have a /proc/bus/usb...

lsmod says:

Module                  Size  Used by
msdos                   4944   1  (autoclean)
cs4281                 44736   0  (autoclean)
usb-storage            28784   0
uhci                   24048   0  (unused)
ppp_deflate            41312   2  (autoclean)
ppp_async               6224   1  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            14496   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate ppp_async]
slhc                    4608   1  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
smbfs                  31920   5  (autoclean)
apm                     9472   0
orinoco_cs              4352   1
orinoco                30096   0  [orinoco_cs]
hermes                  3552   0  [orinoco_cs orinoco]
vfat                    9808   1  (autoclean)
fat                    30592   0  (autoclean) [msdos vfat]

Any ideas?

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+10hrs