ppp0 mac address?

Jeremy jepri at webone.com.au
Tue Jul 16 16:52:38 EST 2002

>ipconfig for ppp0 doesn't even show a mac address. I understand that mac
>addresses are an ethernet concept only.
>
>Anyway, my question is: are mac addresses emulated for ppp0? If so, why do

>mine keep changing?

It sounds like one of those "undefined" situations.  Rather than making demons
fly out of your nose, or reformatting your hard drive, it hands out incrementally
increasing numbers.

Looking at the PPP protocol, the address is 'a single byte that contains the
binary sequence 11111111, the standard broadcast address. PPP does not assign
individual station addresses.'

So it appears that PPP does not 'emulate' MAC addresses anymore than it emulates
Token Rings addresses or Appletalk addresses.

And diagnostics lie, but I'm sure you already knew that :)