ppp0 mac address?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jul 16 16:33:24 EST 2002

Hey folk,

I was bored, so I have written some code which tracks what data flows are
occuring on my network. It shows:

(source mac) -> (destination mac) (number of bytes)

for 10 second intervals. This works fine on my wireless network. Anyway,
when I run this against ppp0 I seem to get incrementing mac addresses. An
ipconfig for ppp0 doesn't even show a mac address. I understand that mac
addresses are an ethernet concept only.

Anyway, my question is: are mac addresses emulated for ppp0? If so, why do
mine keep changing?

Thanks,
Mikal

PS: For those that are interested, it's just a little (100 or so line)
libpcap application...

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)     UMT+10hrs