Frequency Reference for NTP Use?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Jul 15 14:43:48 EST 2002

On Sunday, July 14, 2002, at 06:07 , Tomasz Ciolek
<tmc at dreamcraft.com.au> wrote:

> Alex, so what you are atelling me is that you want a solution, that we
> would nornmally package into an oven sized device. and be bale to
> compress it into a PCMCIA card so that you can correct the drift in the
> clock crystal in your laptop?

Don't confuse "ovenised" with "ovensized" :)

The best non-GPS frequency reference I've found so far is an ovenised
Quartz system.  This is a rack-mount system (1 RU) that costs around
$AU4,500.  It has a stability approaching 1 second per year. Combine
that with a small rack-mount PC (1 RU), and you have something not quite
portable, but not too bulky either.  Suitable for a remote datalogging
station.  I would never use a laptop as a datalogging station - it's not
environmentally sealed.

If I'm willing to trust the GPS network, then I can bring the cost down
to the region of $600 for the Kallisto GPS ISA card ($300 for external
GPS with PPS, but you have to use serial comms for the time signal).
But you have to trust the GPS network and you have to have good GPS sky.

If I have a reliably low-latency connection to the Internet, I can use
publicly available Stratum 2 servers, for the cost of the Internet
feed.  But for that to be useful when using an on-demand Internet
connection, I need about 1 month of permanent connection for the NTP
server to calculate the drift of the local clock.  Then if I move the
machine to a different environment (temperature, humidity, ambient
electrical fields), I have to recalibrate all over again.

On Sunday, July 14, 2002, at 09:15 , Wally <wally at wic.net.au> wrote:

> I guess the question to ask is how accurate do you need it?
>
> If you sync the PC's clock at the start ... How much drift is acceptable
> after week? or after 1 month?

A PC clock will drift by as much as a minute a day or as little as a
second a week - and that's just clocks I've personally had experience
with.

However, the drift is apparently consistent after a warmup period.  The
xntpd software knows about this, and is able to store the drift value
for the local clock.  So if my network has a month or so of
uninterrupted access to the upstream NTP server, the internal NTP
servers will be able to calculate the drift of their local clock
accurately.
Then I can expect that at the end of the month of separation from the
Internet, my clocks might only be out by a couple of seconds. However,
the xntpd software has a hard limit of 1 day without polling external
servers before it reports to its clients that it is unsynchronised - I
don't know whether the undisciplined local clock counts as an "external
server".  There's an easy way to find out, I guess - just apply a couple
of new rules to my IPTABLES setup to block NTP packets inbound or
outbound from my firewall.  Time to set up a few new machines, since I
don't particularly want to mess up my existing network for the sake of
this experiement.

For the purposes of putting a "sent date" on email, I don't care if my
clock is out by an hour.  For the purposes of digitally signing an email
(or timestamping firewall logs for forensics and legal purposes), I want
my clock to be accurate to the second.  One day my life, my fortune or
my job might depend on it, so I want to get it right.

In the immediate future, I'm content with my local clock.  When I start
to get serious about keeping time, I'll invest in an ovenised quartz
Reference Frequency.

Alex