Frequency Reference for NTP Use?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Jul 14 17:46:09 EST 2002

On Sunday, July 14, 2002, at 12:37 , Tomasz Ciolek wrote:

> But why? talk the csiro in Sydney. they have a cesium clck level2 and
> level1 NTP master sites. Maybe they'll let you get a feed?

I want a system that will be autonomous.  It should be able to last a
week without external synchronisation, and still be able to be inserted
into a UTC coordinated network without time-dependent stuff breaking
(eg: make, mail, time stamping).

In one instance, I might want to have a device that is mobile and only
ever in transient contact with The Internet or the GPS sky - for
instance if I have a data logger that lives in a cave surrounded by
metres of granite.  Or a combat control system that lives on a submarine.

It's pretty much an academic exercise at present, since I don't have any
real need to fulfill.  I was at one stage curious about what I could do
with my consumer GPS receiver (designed for hiking or boat navigation) -
and clearly it's not suitable for use as a reference clock since the
hardware required to discipline the clock is more expensive than a
commercial GPS receiver designed with reference clock duties in mind.

Alex