Fetchmail question

Ian Matters ian.matters at post1.com
Sun Jul 14 13:05:16 EST 2002

I've installed Fetchmail and can get it to retrieve mail from my ISP's mail
server without any trouble.

Just to cause myself extra pain I decided to see if I could get it to allow
multiple local users to use a single maildrop and get Fetchmail to forward
messages to the appropriate local user.  According to the Fetchmail manual
page I think that I should be able to do this.  Here's what I think to be
the relevant  excerpt from the manual page:

>Here's  what a simple retrieval configuration for a multi-
>drop mailbox looks like:
>
>   poll pop.provider.net:
>         user maildrop with pass secret1 to golux 'hurkle'='happy' snark here
>
>This says that the mailbox of account  `maildrop'  on  the
>server is a multi-drop box, and that messages in it should
>be parsed for the server user names 'golux', `hurkle', and
>'snark'.   It  further  specifies that 'golux' and `snark'
>have the same name on the client as  on  the  server,  but
>mail  for  server  user  'hurkle'  should  be delivered to
>client user 'happy'.

I would like Fetchmail to send messages to user1 at mydomain.com to the local
user "user1", messages to user2 at mydomain.com to the local user "user2" and
all other messages sent to mydomain.com to be forwarded to the local user
"user3".  What is the appropriate syntax for the .fetchmailrc file?  ANy
help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Ian Matters.
  Email: ian.matters at post1.com
  Phone: +61 2 6258 3079