Grouping perl foreach values

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jul 9 16:17:11 EST 2002

On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 03:45 , Damien Elmes wrote:

> I feel inclined to chirp in now and just say that expressing complex
> data
> structures are not exactly obvious in perl.

Only if you choose to do it in a non-obvious manner.

> Michael's reluctance to delve into arrays of references are probably a
> testament to this.

One option is to use hashes of hashes.  This has the advantage of each
data structure element having a name, so it's easier to remember what
the components are for later.

> then perhaps you'd be more interesting in python or ruby.

 From what I've seen of Ruby, it's a great language.  However, it doesn't
yet have the support of something as big or as available as CPAN.  In
Perl, the chances are that if you want to do something, then someone
else has already written a CPAN module that does that.

Ruby is nice, but it's not mature.  Perl is the opposite.

Alex