Grouping perl foreach values

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Tue Jul 9 15:45:33 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> writes:

> On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 11:33 , Michael Still wrote:
>
>> I was trying to avoid an array of references though.
>
> Why?

I feel inclined to chirp in now and just say that expressing complex data
structures are not exactly obvious in perl. Michael's reluctance to delve into
arrays of references are probably a testament to this. Sure they're okay once
you understand the syntax well enough, but I still think they focus too much
brainpower on how you're going to express the data structure syntacticly,
rather than how you're going to express it in terms of a sensible data
structure. Perl 6 with implicit references should make this a lot more fun.

Don't get me wrong, I have no terrible aversion to perl - like most languages,
it has some interesting paradigms to give. But if you find yourself expressing
your code in a simplified manner to avoid the hairer parts of perl syntax,
then perhaps you'd be more interesting in python or ruby.

Regards,

--
Damien Elmes