Using iptables for forward some packets

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Jul 8 19:12:53 EST 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Michael Still wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Michael Still wrote:
>
> > PS: If I ifconfig the wireless interface on my laptop, then I can ping the
> > firewall...
>
> Hmmmm. Perhaps not. I just realised I did this test whilst still plugged
> into the wired network as well. Perhaps one of my iptables rules is eating
> the wireless packets? Then again, I see nothing logged.

Ok, I am still battling this. The network looks something like:

laptop: wireless device trying to pump
firewall: wireless interface configured to 172.31.0.202
firewall: wired interface configured to 172.31.0.200

What I can see from tcpdumping is that the dhcp request is going out on
the wireless lan. The firewall is picking it up, and then sending an arp
request _only_ on the wireless network. The dhcp server is in fact on the
wired network.

Why is this? Can I configure the world for the ARP packets go out on both
interfaces?

Thanks,
Mikal

--