First time compiling a new kernel

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jul 8 16:08:40 EST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:01, Simon Fowler wrote:
> Still, fixing the problem there /is/ the Right Thing(tm), since then
> you don't have to fiddle with things every time you install a new
> kernel - that's obviously the idea behind using the script.
Personally, I install by hand because the script couldn't possibly tell that I
want this new kernel (which has some test patches in it) to be a particular
name (even though it is built from a kernel tree which has some other name).
And modifying grub.conf is second nature after you've done it about fifty
times...

Not for everyone, of course.

Brad

--