Debian mirrors and sources.list selections

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jul 4 09:29:32 EST 2002

On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, at 04:46 , Drake Diedrich wrote:

>    That said, if you run unstable, you will regularly see packages with
> unfulfillable dependancies, or undeclared conflicts (that break when
> installing).  apache2 at the moment for instance.  Even the occaisional
> just-plain-broken package.

At my old workplace, I would regularly wait about 5 hours to a day after
everyone else had done the latest "apt-get upgrade" before going ahead
with it myself - in order to make sure it was relatively safe to do so.

Of course, more often than not, packages were broken some time inbetween
my friends' updates and my updates.  So I'd have to spend a few
minutes/hours fixing things that magically broke themselves in
"unstable".  Sometimes if I put off fixing things for long enough,
they'd magically fix themselves - but that was the exception rather than
the rule.

So run unstable at your own risk.  That's what the Debian people will
tell you, and that's what this user's experience has been.  Mind you,
having things break is a great way of forced learning ;)

HAND
Alex

"We never have definite knowledge of what needs to be done until we're
finished and discover how wrong we were."
   -- Dan Burke and Alan Morrison, "Business @ The Speed Of Stupid"