Debian mirrors and sources.list selections

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Jul 2 18:22:23 EST 2002

Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> Well, I have finally got around to trying out Debian.  I used Drake's bootable
> CD and the install seems to have gone well enough.
>
> The bigest problem I had was initially I was using the planetmirror.com debian
> mirror.  I could not get the install to work - dselect kept complaining that
> I was removing critical packages.  I eventually tried mirror.aarnet.edu.au,
> and everything went off without a hitch.  Has anyone else had problems with
> planetmirror not being properly syncronised?  And any suggestions for the
> best mirror to use from Webone?

Well, I use
	http://ftp.au.debian.org
which is actually an alias for
	http://www.planetmirror.com
and I never had any problems for a very long while.

> I've set my /etc/apt/sources.list to look at unstable.  However, this did not
> work for http://security.debian.org.  The best I could do here was woody.  Is
> this because that unstable is always going to be at least as up-to-date as
> security anyway, and I should just remove that line???

There is no 'security' repository for unstable. The idea is that
security
is not a feature of 'unstable', and there is no point is such urgent
patches.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>