Debian mirrors and sources.list selections

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Tue Jul 2 18:01:22 EST 2002

Well, I have finally got around to trying out Debian.  I used Drake's bootable
CD and the install seems to have gone well enough.

The bigest problem I had was initially I was using the planetmirror.com debian
mirror.  I could not get the install to work - dselect kept complaining that
I was removing critical packages.  I eventually tried mirror.aarnet.edu.au,
and everything went off without a hitch.  Has anyone else had problems with
planetmirror not being properly syncronised?  And any suggestions for the
best mirror to use from Webone?

I've set my /etc/apt/sources.list to look at unstable.  However, this did not
work for http://security.debian.org.  The best I could do here was woody.  Is
this because that unstable is always going to be at least as up-to-date as
security anyway, and I should just remove that line???

Other than that, I already beginning to think that apt-get is the best thing
since sliced bread.  I had so many headaches with RedHat rpm dependencies,
that for the last year or so my solution was always simply to install
*everything*, wasting at least 3Gig of harddrive space.  As far as I can
tell, with Debian I will be able to have a lean system that only has what I
want on it, and still be able to install something new without getting gray
hair.

Rasjid.