network filesystems (was re: previous 802.11 thread)

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Mon Jul 1 05:14:03 EST 2002

Steven Hanley <sjh at svana.org> writes:

> On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 10:19:27AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 May 2002, Damien Elmes wrote:
> > > My next two tasks are to implement an ipsec based tunnel
> >
> > I haven't done this yet, I was thinking about just using ssh tunneling...
> > My other problem is that people can still have DOS attack, just my taking
> > all my DHCP address pool.
>
> personally I strongly reccomend cipe. It is incredibly easy to set up, easier
> infact than ppp over ssh as ppp needs a tty of some sort which makes it a bit
> difficult to run in this manner. See
>
> http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html

Thanks! I finally got around to getting this set up, and I'm very happy with
it. The extra load (in terms of cpu usage and bandwidth) required for the
compression is barely noticable on an 11mbit wireless link, and it's nice to
have some peace of mind again. Cipe is definitely cool.

I've also started using sfs. I looked into coda (its disconnected operation
with caching is certainly attractive), but it appears to be quite complicated
to set up. Has anyone tried coda? What do people here use as a network
filesystem?

Regards,

--
Damien Elmes