Switch (Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse) Box experiences ?

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Wed Jan 30 11:03:48 EST 2002

Hi Burn,

I have bought 2 KVM boxes recently.  The first is a 4 port (KNV104 , from
SI in Fyshwick $517 with cables) and the second a 2 port ( KVM211, from
the weekend markets $170 with cables).  Don't waste the money getting the
on-screen-display versions as you pay double for it.  I also think that
the sting is buying one is paying for all the extra cables you need

When I was looking at buying a KVM I was informed to get an 'active' box
as there are problems with the dumb boxes.

The first one is that they don't remember the state of the keyboard and
mouse when switching between devices.

The second is that they will not provide feedback to the computer when it
is first booted unless it is currently switched to that device.  This
means that a computer that needs to detect a mouse/keyboard to boot will
just error instead.

If you get an active KVM then there is always feedback to each computer
that is plugged into it which removes the booting problem and the
switching problem altogether. :-)

I have found both boxed to work well and have had no problems at all.

Cheers,
Simon

Simon Haddon, E-mail: simon at sibern.com.au
Sibern Solutions Pty Ltd, 38 Beasley St, Pearce, ACT 2607
Tel: 02, 62864500, Fax: 02, 62864526

On 30/01/02, 9:39:50 AM, Burn Alting <burn at goldweb.com.au> wrote regarding
Switch (Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse) Box experiences ?:

> Hi Peoples,

> I need to get a switch box for my two Linux systems (both have PS/2 mouse
and
> keyboard setups)

> I'm currently trying a Manual switch but two problems occur

>       a. Using High resolution monitor cables from the switch box to the
PC's
>           causes ghosting on the screen. The supplier says this should
not
>           happen and I'm swapping the manual box today (it's an SI switch
box).