kppp modem query not working

Rodney Peters rod at pcug.org.au
Tue Jan 29 14:19:05 EST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:45, Stephen York wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:31:27 +1100
> From: Stephen York <steveski at dingoblue.net.au>
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
> Subject: kppp modem query not working
>
> Hi,
>
> I been trying to get kppp running.  I can run it fine, but whenever I
> click the query modem button, I get a message back stating the the modem
> can't be found.
>
> If I run minicom, I can atz atdt and successfully logon to my ISP.
> Also if minicom is running, clicking uery modem within kppp works,
> except all the details appear in the minicom window rather than in the
> kppp 'ATI' details window.
> If I close minicom, then the query from kpp won't work again.

The  kppp setup dialog has a "device" tab, in which the "modem" field has a
default setting of "/dev/modem".    Whenever the network configuration tool
is used on my system, "dev/modem" gets relinked to "/dev/ttyS0".  If the
modem is not on the first serial port, then kppp no longer finds it.

When I used an external modem on the second serial port, I avoided this
problem by setting the modem device in kppp to the real device ie
"/dev/ttyS1".

Hang in there - you might find the Accounting features in kppp useful and the
blinking "LEDs" are a neat feature when running an internal modem.

Rod