Getting a defaultroute to stick - Problem solved

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Fri Jan 25 21:05:35 EST 2002

It seems that it was some sort of race condition.

I was running adsl-stop;route -n to drop the line and then to look at the
routing tables immediately afterwards.

Well the debug code in the ip-down.local showed the changes to the routing
table (I wss logging them to syslog), but looking at the routing tables
immediatly after the adsl-stop did not show the changes.

I then tried adsl-stop;sleep 5;route -n and the routing table showed up
correctly.

I guess the adsl-stop detaches the shutdown process from the terminal and
executes it in the background and that I was seeing the routing tables
BEFORE they had been updated.

It had me confused for a few hours.

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people