SCSI hard drives available?

Michael James michael at james.st
Fri Jan 25 15:15:35 EST 2002

>"HD SC Setup and Drive Setup have one large drawback (apart from not
>being very informative and having no control over the setup parameters
>of your drive): it can only format/initialize Apple-supplied harddisks1.
>The Apple utilities check the result of the SCSI 'identify drive' command
>(SCSI-1) (on older versions of HD SC Setup) or check the parameter pages
>(SCSI-2) whether it is a drive they supplied. All Apple drives have
>information stored in some sort of ROM on the drive that identifies the
>drive as 'Apple supplied'."

Used to be true.

The Drive Setup that came with Macos 7.6.1 or 8.1
 (the two MacOS candidates for your Quadra)
 will only work with Apple supplied disks.

I have yet to find a (working) SCSI drive
 that won't format and run fine using
 the drive setups that come with 8.6 or 9.x

If you don't have a recent MacOS install CD mail me direct
 and I'll reply with a recent copy of Drive Setup.

michaelj
--
A right not exercised is a privilege
a privilege not exercised is illegal.

Michael James			michael at james.st
8 Brennan St			Phone: +61 2 6247 2556
Hackett, ACT 2602		Mobile: +61 4 1747 4065
AUSTRALIA			Fax: +61 2 6278 0011