About Compact Flash Cards and Linux

Boryan Yotov biotov at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 00:08:36 EST 2002

Hello all,

    First, excuse me, if this question has been answered before.

    I would like to ask if someone could point me to a good reference or howto about working
with Compact Flash cards under Linux.

    The configuration which I have is:
        Sony Vaio Laptop with two PCMCIA Sockets running RedHat Linux 7.2 and Kernel v.2.4.17
        The Compact Flash card is 32 Mb and is plugged in a Xircom PCMCIA CaddyCard.
        Also the Kernel is compiled with built-in support for PCMCIA.

        After the Linux boots I could see that the module "ide_cs" is installed (that because the
Kernel detects the attached PCMCIA Flash Caddy) on the system.
        Unfortunatelly I didn't found a good reference about the ide_cd module and especially
how to mount and format the attached Compact Flash.
        Please, could you tell me where to find a good tutorial concerning the Compact Flash
 support in Linux environment.

        Thank you in advance.

Best regards:
Boryan Yotov