SCSI drives recommendations

Robert Cohen robert at apex.net.au
Tue Jan 22 10:45:29 EST 2002

Its not that calculating the parity itself is a bottleneck. Its getting the data
to calculate the parity with thats the bottleneck.
When a block is written, you need the data in matching blocks from every disk on
the system (except the parity block) to calculate the parity from.
So in a N disk system, to do a write of a block, you might need to do up to N-2
reads and 2 writes to the physical disks.
So basically getting speed relies on a big cache so hopefully you don't have to do
the reads too often. And basically raid5 is never going to be as fast as mirroring
(raid 1).