Smoothwall logs

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 22 10:37:56 EST 2002

matthew at topic.com.au wrote:

> -------------------
> my
>
> I think that's one of the reserved multicast network addresses, and
> IGMP is Cisco's routing protocol.  It's probably not important for
> your internal network so silently drop it.
>
> --
> Matt

Actually, IGMP (Internet Group Management Protocol) is not Cisco's
routing protocol - it is the standard protocol for managing multicasting
in IP and is defined in RFC 1112.

IGMP uses the first multicast address, 224.0.0.1, to manage all other
multicast addresses.

As to whether you need it or not I can't say without knowing what you
are doing. The IGMP messages are really no more harmful that ARP
requests etc. but you may be paying for them on your link.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.