Transact Configuration Question

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com.au
Mon Jan 21 15:51:33 EST 2002

Today I got my TransACT connection. Yeeha!

There's obviously something I missed in my pppoe education because I cant
get it to work.

I've taken the cowards way out and just used the pppoe supplied with RH7.2.
When I bring the pppoe interface up it connects and I get allocated a near
and far IP address.  I can ping both of these.  The near one takes usecs
and the far takes msecs.  Sounds right.

I delete my default route which goes to my dialup modem before bringing up
the pppoe and the correct (far) route gets added.

My problem is that I cant ping the IP addresses at the WebOne site.  I've
been trying the two nameserver addresses but neither will respond.

My questions are:

	Does the fact that I have the two ip addresses indicate that I've
	been authenticated properly?

	Do I have to dedicate the ethernet card to pppoe or can I also use
	it to access my local LAN?  i.e. Do I believe the roaring
	penguin when he says: "DONT GIVE AN IP ADDRESS TO THE ETHERNET I/F"

	I'm getting: pppoe[3308]: PADS: Service-Name: ''
	in the logs.  Should I be giving this a value?

	Should I download the full roaring penguin release and install it?
	RH7.2 seems to only have half the utilities.

	What's 256K like??  I hope I find out soon. :-)

Brett