SCSI hard drives available?

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Mon Jan 21 13:28:14 EST 2002

Richard Cottrill <richard_c at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> I would help but my gear is out of reach at the mo. Watchout that SCSI !=
> Mac compliant. There seems to be some extra bit in discs for Mac that
> doesn't necessarily exist in SCSI discs. I found an HP disc that would sing
> for any kind of hammering so long as I didn't try to put it into a Mac.

Anyone else got any insight into this? I've always thought Macs used
bog-standard SCSI drives.

Ahh... Google to the rescue. Is the following what you're referring to?

This is from http://www.euronet.nl/users/ernstoud/scsi.html:

"HD SC Setup and Drive Setup have one large drawback (apart from not
being very informative and having no control over the setup parameters
of your drive): it can only format/initialize Apple-supplied harddisks1.
The Apple utilities check the result of the SCSI 'identify drive' command
(SCSI-1) (on older versions of HD SC Setup) or check the parameter pages
(SCSI-2) whether it is a drive they supplied. All Apple drives have
information stored in some sort of ROM on the drive that identifies the
drive as 'Apple supplied'."

Evil, evil, evil.

I won't have that problem with m68k Linux though. ;)

> A lot like many of nerds (pre-OSX) in that respect.

Tee hee. :)
--
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au     |  I need a short and
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:eddiesam at jabber.org  |  clever comment for