Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 21 10:49:40 EST 2002

Martin Schwenke wrote:

>     Alex> On Friday, January 18, 2002, at 10:11 , Bob Edwards wrote:
>
>     >> We have been using gibraltar here at Dept. of Computer Science ...
>     Alex> [snip]
>     >> What it needs is a better interface for configuration [...]
>
>     Alex> Would 'webmin' be of any use to you?  Check out the results
>     Alex> of "apt-cache search webmin" - there's an administration
>     Alex> plug-in for just about every feature of a "typical" firewall
>     Alex> that the "average" "home" user might need :)
>
> We're talking about configuring a firewall here aren't we?  I would
> have thought the last thing you would want running on your firewall is
> a web-based service that lets you configure the machine/firewall...
>
> There's always a trade-off between security and convenience.  On your
> firewall you just don't want that sort of convenience...
>
> peace & happiness,
> martin

Maybe. If the web port is only accessible from the inside network (I think
that smoothwall calls this the "green network"), and with password and/or
encryption, then I don't see any problem with using a web-browser as a
configuration tool for a firewall.

I still prefer the command-line, accessible by SSH from at least the inside
network.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.