SCSI drives recommendations

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Sun Jan 20 22:59:38 EST 2002

This sounds like a serious server case and so I'd expect that case cooling
has been taken care of by some reasonably huge fans scattered about (if
there aren't any then there's definitely going to be brackets for them -
just fill the brackets). You may have to worry a bit more about keeping the
room cool. I have a very lightly loaded system (roughly similar to your own
but with dual PPro instead) and it can warm my room quite effectively. More
pressing for me is that I've had disconnect to two (of five) fans and rig up
some very crap sound insulation to keep myself sane. I still can't sleep, or
even relax, when it's running.

I wouldn't *plan* to fill the disc bays with anything; unless you have some
special requirement (like a raid and/or serious file serving) you'd be much
better served by buying one new, large disc. Something with a spindle speed
up around 15k RPM is probably a nice start :).

Richard