CD-CD copying problems

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Sun Jan 20 19:59:50 EST 2002

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:38, Pearl Louis wrote:
> Oh, I feel silly now.  What happened was that the cd writer which used
> to be scd0 and mounted to /mnt/cdrom2 is now scd1 and mounts to
> /mnt/cdrom whilst the cd reader which used to be hdd and mounted to
> /mnt/cdrom is now scd0 and mounts to /mnt/cdrom2.  Well, a little
> editing of the fstab file and that's fixed.
>
> Now I seem to have the problem that even though it does the copying (and
> at 100% buffer as well), the avi file on the copied CD doesn't seem to
> like being played in Linux or Windows with xine and Media Player both
> crashing (xine crashes about 3 seconds into playing the file), even
> though when I copy the same CD in Windows at the same speed (a low 4
> speed, the maximum my old CD burner can handle) and using exactly the
> same media the copied CD turns out fine.  And I tried this with XCDroast
> and Eroaster.  Oh I have no idea what's going on now...Well, I suppose
> I'll just have to tell my friends I won't be copying anymore CDs for
> them in the near future...

Have you tried copying to a file as a mid-step?

I had a wonderful little bash script that copied the CD from my CD-Rom to the
hard-drive, verified the read, wrote it to my CD-Writer and verified the
write.  It would abort if there was an error anywhere during the process.

It only took about 15 minutes to write.  Unfortunately I seemed to have
deleted it in a fit of cleaning up my hard-drive.  Serves me right for not
moving it out of the working directory.

I know that 'on-the-fly' copying is a nice idea, but I didn't have much luck
with it (only tried once), and as long as the process is scripted and you
have some spare drive space I think the extra time spent copying to the HD is
worth the benifits.

Also, I found that my CD-Rom worked better if left in ide mode, rather than
using ide-scsi emulation.

I need to re-write my script anyway sometime over the next few days.  I can
send you a copy if you like.

Cheers,

Rasjid.