CD-CD copying problems

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Sun Jan 20 16:51:08 EST 2002

Hi

Recently I tried to set up my linux machine to do direct CD to CD
copying since I have a CD reader and CD writer on seperate IDE channels.
The CD burning programs only seem to detect scsi devices so I had my
machine detect the CD writer and the reader as scsi devices by adding
the following line to lilo.conf:

append=" hdg=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi devfs=mount quiet"

hdg being my CDwriter and hdd being my CD reader.

Now XCD-Roast seems to recognise my CD reader and I can do CD to CD
copies, but now I can't mount my CD reader.  When I try to mount it I
get:

"hdd: input/output error"

even though there is a CD in the drive and just ten minutes before when
I had my linux machine detecting the reader as an IDE device it mounted
fine.

OK, so then I modified my fstab file to replace /dev/hdd with /dev/scd1.
However, I still can't mount the CD and I get the error:

"No media in drive"

even though I *know* that there is a CD in the drive.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this matter?  I would like
to be able to do CD to CD copies AND be able to mount my cd reader
without having to modify lilo.conf and rebooting my computer each
time...

Pearl