"No carrier" problem

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jan 17 14:13:00 EST 2002

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 01:50 , Sam Couter wrote:

> The modem was a 33k6 Maestro Companion, I believe.

Correct.  It works great on good quality lines.  Otherwise, not at all.

> In the end, I replaced the modem with a much older and bulkier and
> reliable 28k8 modem, which connected at 28k8 every time.

Spirit Viper.  That was my first "High Speed" modem.  Back when I bought
it for $250 odd (admittedly from Dick Smith Electronics), it was the
"Rolls Royce" - superseded a few weeks later by the new "Rolls Royce"
which were 33.6k modems.  I'm not even sure if Spirit is still in
business or still makes modems.

> So if you have access to another modem of a different type (and
> preferably higher quality), see if that makes a difference.

Heh... you could try the new "Rolls Royce" of modems - the Maestro
Woomera.  But at $500, you're probably better off spending the money on
ADSL.  [shudder]

Some modems provide the opportunity to:
  - Restrict the maximum speed it will try negotiating
  - Adjust the impedance on the line
  - Adjust the power out on the line
  - Adjust the amplification of the incoming signal

Check the manual, you may be surprised at what a $50 modem can do these
days :)

Alex