Failures of IBM Deskstar 75GXP series hard disks

Grant Morphett grant at gmorph.com
Thu Jan 17 13:12:43 EST 2002

Hmmmm, I have 4 DTLA-307020 (20 GB) running with various RAID setup's in a Dual
PIII667 box.  They run 24x7 and have done for over a year without any problems.
Guess I am just lucky.

Thanks for the info though.

cheers

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:09:05 +1100
David Price <davidmprice at dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

> Hi.  I just thought I should warn people about an unusually high
> failure rate of IBM's Deskstar 75GXP series hard disks.  IBM denies
> there is a problem, so they haven't been recalled, but many users have
> lost their entire hard disk contents as a result of these failures
> (myself included - although I did have a fairly recent backup).  Some
> user comments and links to a class action against IBM can be found
> here:
>
> http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/3035/1/
>
> The models in the 75GXP series are:
>
> DTLA-307015 (15 GB)
>
> DTLA-307030 (30 GB)
> DTLA-307045 (45 GB)
> DTLA-307060 (60 GB)
> DTLA-307075 (75 GB)
>
> To identify your model, run:
>
> hdparm -i /dev/hda
> (or whatever your hard disk is)
>
> Check the Model= part, which may read something like:
>
>  Model=IBM-DTLA-307045
>
> You could also look at the disk itself, or the receipt (you kept the
> receipt I hope) if that is easier.
>
> If you have one of these hard disks, I'd recommend making regular
> backups, and transfer to a different disk if possible.  I doubt you'll
> be able to return them until they fail, since IBM hasn't issued a
> recall.

Grant Morphett
GMORPH CONSULTANTS Pty Ltd - Solutions Outside the Square
tel : +61 (0) 411 271271
fax : +1 309 4164790