Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Jan 16 23:17:21 EST 2002

I'm pretty sure that all of the problems with Smoothwall that you've
mentioned no longer exist. I suspect the NBH syndrome.
You can:
 - SSH into your network from outside
 - Set up a tunnel between your network and someone else's (or vice versa)
 - I believe that endless logs are not a problem any more. Certainly my
anorexic hard disc (100MB) hasn't shown any signs of strain.

What I cannot do (and have I don't believe there's an way to do this under
Linux of any flavour) is to set up an h.323 (VoIP) transparent NAT firewall.
The only module is for 2.2.x kernels (handy for Smoothwall/IPCop, but not so
much for the rest of the population) and that doesn't cover all of the h.323
spec (gatekeepers are notably absent - although actual calls happen).

Hints appreciated. Pointers to HOW-TOs for writing masquerading modules
likewise appreciated.

Richard