MTA Selection (was Re: Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jan 15 18:20:24 EST 2002

On Tuesday, January 15, 2002, at 05:29 , Matthew Hawkins wrote:

> If you're paranoid and need to have mail gateway, postfix is your best
> option.  I would even run sendmail over qmail, mainly because its faster
> and more configurable than any other MTA.

Surely you mean "faster than *qmail* and more configurable than any
other MTA"?

And "more configurable" isn't necessarily a good thing, either.

*How* you configure sendmail is the problem.  It would probably be
easier to edit the sourcecode and recompile with your new rules in
place, since most people know C already ;)  (Ha ha - only serious ;)

It's probably better to view sendmail not as an MTA, but as a generic
rules-based message rewriting and transmission device, that happens to
behave as an MTA when given a particular ruleset - so too, a Turing
Machine might behave as an MTA when given a specific tape ;)

Alex