Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Tue Jan 15 18:04:27 EST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, John Griffiths wrote:
> So how do you rate exim?

I have used (tried, rather) exim once - when I first switched to Debian
I had this silly notion that doing things the Debian way would cause
less hassles.  Suffice to say, exim worked great if you wanted to do any
of the options presented by debconf.  Want to do anything else and
you're screwed.  At least when I tried, the documentation was sparse and
out-of-date, and of the three things I wanted to do with the
documentation I had it was a case of "pick any two".  Other people I've
spoken with on this subject (in #debian on OPN) have come across the
same problems.  However, provided that you meet the configuration
criteria offered by debconf, it apparently functions quite well.  In my
messing around with it trying to make it work the way I wanted, I didn't
come across any other problems other than that stated.  Many home users
would probably be fine with exim.

Note that on the benchmarks I posted earlier, exim outperforms qmail
under most circumstances, and even gives sendmail a run for its money.

--
Matt