Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Tue Jan 15 16:18:46 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> OpenBSD was designed to be as secure as possible.  People who say "which
> version of Linux should I use for my firewall" may as well be saying
> "which version of Windows should I use for my firewall?"

Oh, and another thing...

OpenBSD's reputation as a secure OS is at least partly based on clever
marketing. They make claims such as "No remote root exploits in the
default install for four years!", while omitting the fact that the FTP
server is off in the default install. The FTP server was in the last six
months or so found to have one or two remote root exploits.

Same goes for NFS and who knows what else: In the default install of
OpenBSD, it's turned off. Turned off, you're secure. Turn it on, and
then... Well, you takes your chances. Warranty is void.
--
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au     |  I need a short and
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:eddiesam at jabber.org  |  clever comment for