Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Tue Jan 15 16:13:17 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> * And yes, I'm aware that the ping of death problem was quickly
> rectified.  The question remains though - how many more flaws are there
> in Linux networking code that we just don't know about yet?  It's

This goes for any software, open source or proprietary, audited or not.
That's why to remain secure you need to keep up to date - both with
software (patches and so on) and with security advisories from your
vendor or BugTraq.

There's no magic bullet solution to the problem of remaining secure.

> possible that the only reason we don't see many more exploits for
> Linux/Apache bugs is that Linux/Apache isn't yet as populous as
> Windows/IIS.

I doubt it.

Apache is more popular than IIS and I'm sure it gets hammered on more
often. Breaking IIS is like shooting fish in a barrel, which makes it an
easy target for script kiddies. Fixes from Microsoft are slow (when they
come at all), and many people don't apply them or don't even know
they're running IIS. Microsoft is reactive about security, not
proactive. Blah blah blah.
--
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au     |  I need a short and
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:eddiesam at jabber.org  |  clever comment for