nvidia questions

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Tue Jan 15 15:53:39 EST 2002

Jan-Yun Lou <loujanyun at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Firstly, are the "nvidia" drivers any better than the
> "nv" drivers?  I know the nvidia drivers offer 3D
> acceleration and the "nv" drivers don't, but I only do
> 2D work in Linux and I was wondering if the "nvidia"
> drivers you get off the Nvidia website provide any
> improvement in 2D work over the "nv" drivers?

Not that I know of. I use the nvidia drivers, because I like the 3D
acceleration. They had a lot of stability problems early on.

> Secondly, Linux seems to continually get the amount of
> memory on my video card wrong!  I have a Geforce 256
> with 32MB RAM.  Both Red Hat and Mandrake (the two
> distributions I've tried) say it has 4MB.  However I
> noticed that in the XF86Config-4 file the line "video
> ram" is commented out.  So the question is, what's
> going on here?  Does linux actually use the full 32MB?

It might not always probe the correct amount. Just tell it what you
really have, and it will use it all.
Uncomment the line and change it to indicate how many Kb of video RAM
you have. 32 Mb == 32768 Kb.
--
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au     |  I need a short and
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:eddiesam at jabber.org  |  clever comment for