nvidia questions

Jan-Yun Lou loujanyun at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 15:40:37 EST 2002

Hi!

I was wondering if someone could help me with some
video card problems.  I hope these questions aren't
*too* stupid...

Firstly, are the "nvidia" drivers any better than the
"nv" drivers?  I know the nvidia drivers offer 3D
acceleration and the "nv" drivers don't, but I only do
2D work in Linux and I was wondering if the "nvidia"
drivers you get off the Nvidia website provide any
improvement in 2D work over the "nv" drivers?

Secondly, Linux seems to continually get the amount of
memory on my video card wrong!  I have a Geforce 256
with 32MB RAM.  Both Red Hat and Mandrake (the two
distributions I've tried) say it has 4MB.  However I
noticed that in the XF86Config-4 file the line "video
ram" is commented out.  So the question is, what's
going on here?  Does linux actually use the full 32MB?

Thanks very much!
Pearl