Best firewall gateway version of Linux ?

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 15 13:43:08 EST 2002

Hi, from the perspective of someone who still has a lot to learn on linux
[as per previous posts!] -
When I knew even less than I know now I chose on name and ease of
installation - Mandrake Single Network Firewall.  It was a breeze.
Now that I have read a bit more I think it's more to do with the setup and
knowing how to monitor it:
- ease of updating anything - I think Debian wins hands down
- a Firewall is only as good as its monitoring of logs - I've read of
"grsparse" that evidently outputs snort data in html format.
- testing with nmap - despite all assurances that the main settings are
correct - have someone you trust test to see if they can get in.
- keep your firewall simple and single purpose - put your mail elsewhere.

http://www.grsecurity.net/ seems to have good kernel 2.4 patches for Debian
-Grsecurity.

Astaro Firewall - uses kernel 2.4 and there is an Australian mirror for it
so I wonder what kind of following it has.  Is anyone using it?

Regards,
Daniel.