Automatically loading modules with Red Hat 7.1

Everard Edwards EEDWARDS at rsbs.anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 15 11:42:00 EST 2002

Mandrake does have an /etc/modules file (obviously as well as
/etc/modules.conf) and is still pretty closely based on Red hat so perhaps
creating a /etc/modules file with a list of modules you want started up at
boot will work?
  I can't remember which script uses /etc/modules but I guess you could
have a look through rc.local and the like for any sign of /etc/modules
  Ev

Dr E.J. Edwards
Environmental Biology Group
RSBS
The Australian National University
GPO Box 475
Canberra
ACT 2601
Australia

ph: +61 (0)2 6125 3547
fax: +61 (0)2 6125 4919
email: eedwards at rsbs.anu.edu.au

>>> Andrew Pollock <andrew at andrew.net.au> 01/15/02 10:41am >>>
Alas my employer is pro Red Hat and I'm more familiar with Debian than Red
Hat.

I'm currently stumped as to how to do the equivalent of /etc/modules in Red
Hat.
I want to make the system automatically load a module on bootup.

In this particular case, it's the module for my SCSI card. kudzu picked it
up
and added

alias scsi_hostadapter initio

to my /etc/modules.conf, but this doesn't actually load the module on
bootup,
which is what I want.

I've rummaged through all the startup files and can't really see any
reference
to anything that looks like it does what I want, but I can't believe I have
modprobe the sucker every time, or otherwise rely on the kernel to modprobe
it
for me when I happen to try and access something.

Any suggestions?

Andrew