kinda newbie question

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Tue Jan 15 10:08:15 EST 2002

At 4:49 PM +0200 02/1/14, mn_x at e-apollo.lv wrote:
>greetings everyone, i;ve real newbie question:
>
>if i install software by `make;make install` then how do i remove
>installed software later?

Much software doesn't have make uninstall.

There is a wonderful package called checkinstall pointed out to me by Rasjid Wilcox on this list:

At 11:05 PM +1100 02/1/8, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
>Have a look at CheckInstall.
>(http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall-en.html#checkinstall)
>
>I have not used it (although I will try it out when I'm next installing
>something from source), but it got a good review by one of the people at
>linuxplanet.  (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/3979/8/)

I have used it and it is excellent.  You do a configure and make then just run checkinstall and it installs the software and builds an rpm (deb or whatever).  You just uninstall as though you had installed an rpm or deb.  You can install on other machines etc.  There are probably caveats you can read about in the doco.

Kim

Kim Holburn  Network Consultant  P/F: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)