kinda newbie question

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Jan 15 09:40:46 EST 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 mn_x at e-apollo.lv wrote:

> if i install software by `make;make install` then how do i remove
> installed software later?

1. Work out where the files went (look at the Makefile)
2. Work out if it overwrote any other files when you did the make install
(libraries etc)
3. remove all files it installed which are not essential to the running of
your system.

The reason we use package managers is to avoid this sort of hassle. If I
need to work with a tarball, I always install it in some alternate root,
e.g. ~pbarker/muck/j.random.application/bin/jra

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\