Full E-mail Setup inc spam filter - Fetchmail-Postfix-Procmail-ASK-Kmail ?

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 11 21:27:23 EST 2002

Thanks Matt, Andreas, Damien and everyone, it seems I have to go back to
the 'study bunker'.

I am feeling very ignorant, but I'm showing my ignorance rather than
sitting in silence: I don't understand the full route of e-mail going
through a proper system with a fully blown anti-spam script like those
below. [still using an isp, getting the mail from them and then dealing
with it]. I've read the general stuff, but I'm wondering if all the reading
I'm doing is helping or digging me further in.

I am pretty keen on the anti spam solutions that will bounce spammers back
pretending my e-mail address doesn't exist and reply to an unknown sender
of e-mail with a password they can use if they want the mail to get
through, like Spambouncer [Procmail only] or Active Spam Killer.  When it
says "ASK should be invoked from .forward (or .procmailrc if you are using
procmail). The incoming message should be piped to ASK, which will be in
charge of doing the actual delivery."  I get the idea that it will work
with most mail systems, and wonder if that means Maildrop (of Courier IMAP
fame) uses .forward the same way and can thus use ASK (but not Spambouncer
I presume as it works with .procmailrc)?

Both Spambouncer and ASK seem to use the (wanted, not wanted, and unsure)
categories Matt referred to.

Can anyone who has time help me a bit or point me in the right direction
please (if I don't seem like a lost cause by this time)?

My Hypothesis on How it works is as follows:

- Fetchmail goes and gets the mail [Not a mail delivery agent, but a
remote-mail retrieval and forwarding utility - the best and the only one
from what I can see)
- Postfix [Mail Transfer Agent] (aka E-Mail Server?).  (I'm told that
Procmail below could do it on its own, but an MTA gives better error checking.)
- Procmail [local Mail Delivery Agent (is it Local Delivery Agent, LDA?)]
can be made use of by Postfix to do local mail delivery.  Procmail does any
filtering required - many scripts for fighting spam work are designed for
Procmail.
- Kmail [Mail User Agent] lets the user read the mail etc.

(have I got the right order that the mail would travel through from start
to finish, and what each one does?)

and the solution I like most from the little I know:

- Fetchmail
- Courier IMAP (which comes with Maildrop and uses Maildir.
- Maildrop (has standard .forward like Sendmail so mail can be passed
through something like Active Spam Killer )[Mairdrop it says uses memory
better than Procmail]
- Evolution [MUA]

I don't know anything about the complexity of setting up these systems, and
wonder about that.  I think I read somewhere that Spambouncer was tough to
set up, but wonderful to use. Mailfilter looks good and I can see good uses
for it, but long term I would like to have the IMAP setup option.

Matt referred to another nice anti-spam setup (using procmail) from Linus
Torvald's old friend Lars Wirzenius, but although I found quite a few
references to him, unfortunately I couldn't find the Procmail script.

Thanks - any help in getting my brain around this is greatly appreciated.
Daniel.

PS
I have read things like
(in the unlikely event there is anyone out there who is floundering like me:
http://www.windowatch.com/2001/november/linuxmail7_10.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=1196&mode=thread&order=0)