How do I stop iptables logging to the console

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Fri Jan 11 16:37:48 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 03:36:37PM +1100, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> I have iptables installed on a number of my clients sites now; identical
> installations as well, and new kernels (RH7.1 or 7.2 with the kernels
> modded for IPSec)
>
> In a couple of situations the iptables logs go to the console as well as
> to the /var/log/messages, others log only to the log file.
>
> I've checked the syslog.conf file and there is nothing odd ball there.
> The reporting level in iptables is the default.
>
> I cannot fathom out why this odd behavour is occuring, but it would be
> bloody annoying except that these machines are normally headless, so it
> only becomes annoying when I put a monitor on them.
>
> Ideas anyone?

my guess is it is the kernel log daemon level that is set, if you look at
klogd it has a 0c option to set the outpuit level, 4 and above go to the
console or osmething AFAIR, so setting it to -c 3 will stop it going to the
console, /etc/init.d/syslogkd may have the command line arguments for klogd
or something.

	See You
	    Steve

--