gdm, xdm environment

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com.au
Mon Jan 7 23:27:38 EST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Greg O'Keefe wrote:

> I've started logging in via gdm. When you do this, there isn't a login shell
> that is the mother of all your processes, so how do you set environment
> variables you want, like EDITOR=vi?

Its done through the session selection on the gdm login banner.

Create an executable script called $HOME/.xsession and put in there
whatever commands you want.  Select the "default" session.  Then near the
end do an exec gnome-session for gnome or exec startkde for kde.

Here's mine:

eval `ssh-agent`
export SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass
ssh-add .ssh/id_dsa < /dev/null
gnome-session
ssh-agent -k

Brett

 Cray Australia.
 brettw at cray.com +61 2 6295 4023

PGP: 1024R/27EB604F  22A9 A85A 22BD 496B 2443
                     35E5 46F7 0712 27EB 604F