mixed system backups

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jan 3 15:16:26 EST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:02, Alfred wrote:
> I can think of a few options that don't require root over the network (they
> do need it on the local host), I guess the solution depends upon your
> resources and the risks you are willing to take.
> Your 1 script requirement does kinda force you into the ssh option however.
> Have you thought of doing something like having a backup process (cron job)
> run on a PC and drop files into a certain dir.

Can't guarantee that I will have the temporary disk space when doing a full
backup (or incremental on occassion).

I suppose I could play around with cron jobs in that, from a certain time,
the job attempts to get access to the tape and once it does starts the backup,
otherwise it backs off and checks later ... this means my backups may be in
random order on the tape each night, but the output can be merged somewhere
and when I know the set of backup scripts are complete I can put the order
(and other information on the front of the tape - in a fixed area ... I like
my backup tapes to have a label at the front to tell me what's there -
redundant but when many filesystems are on the tape (full or incremental) then
it's nice to quickly know where to skip).

Given I can set up keys 'by hand' with ssh, I'll go the single script method
(as well as getting ssh up and running on Solaris).

Thanks to all who responded.
Burn