mixed system backups

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jan 3 14:46:57 EST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:28, Alfred wrote:
> And never forget defence in depth. Allowing root rsh connections sounds
> very dangerous. If the worst happens and your firewall is ever penetrated
> then your internal machines will fall amazingly quickly. Use a special user
> for the backups, at least then it will limit any attacks.
> (and if you think your firewall can't fail, what happens when Joe User puts
> a modem on their PC so they can "work from home"....).

The main issues are

	a. I want one script to do the complete backup of all systems (ie automated
and unattended, AND
	b. To be able to backup any file on a system, I need to be root
(irrespective of where the data is being written).

I suppose I will need to get ssh with RSA/DSA working on the Suns.

Burn