root window (in)sanity

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Feb 27 11:37:53 EST 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:04:57AM +1100, Brett Worth did utter:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Sam Couter wrote:
>
> > At home, I don't even have a background picture. Just a not-quite-teal
> > shade of green/blue. Images sometimes get too distracting.
>
> Back in the olden days when "xv" was popular (before it went shareware),
> I used a companion utility called "bggen".   It could make some really
> weird backgrounds.

Hasn't xv always been shareware?
(trivia: xv does the best dithering to paletted screens I've ever seen.
Even down to 1bit... not that many people ever need that... ;)

looking at the bggen doco, it looks like it does the same sort of thing
that bsetbg can do these days. (and no doubts others too). xbanner can
do some neat backgrounds too, but doesn't actually set root and exit -
it displays onto root while it's running)

> PS: Now I'm going to get flamed for wasting bandwidth with trivia. :-)

Trivia flows to meet the available bandwidth :)

.../Nemo