good c++ learning resource

asmith at 14inverleith.freeserve.co.uk asmith at 14inverleith.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Feb 24 06:05:13 EST 2002

Hi Ian,

I would also recommend that you also  get a book on STL ( I have used "The
STL Primer"). Scott Meyers books on C++ and STL are also very good reading.

--
Andrew
On
Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Ian McCulloch wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 Ben.Westgarth at facs.gov.au wrote:

> Hi all,
> I would like to get a good book on learning c++ (obviously geared towards
> programming on a *nix platform). Does anyone have any recommendations? I have
> experience in java and the usual range of web languages, but I would like to
> extend my skills.
> Cheers, Ben Westgarth

Stroustrup's book is great and I use it all the time, but its not so great
for learning C++ from scratch.  So buy it, but get something else as well.

Steer clear of any books older than a couple of years though, C++ changed
A LOT in the time leading up to standardization, and the notion of what
constitutes 'good design' in C++ has changed with it.

I havn't read either of these books but I have neard nothing but excellent
reports about:

Accelerated C++
 Practical Programming by Example

by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo
Addison-Wesley, 2000
ISBN 0-201-70353-X

http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

and

Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied
Addison-Wesley, 2001
Andrei Alexandrescu
ISBN: 0-201-70431-5

http://cseng.aw.com/book/0,3828,0201704315,00.html

The second book in particular I am looking forward to getting hold of.

hth
Ian McCulloch