Corrupt rpm database

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Wed Feb 20 10:45:07 EST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> I seem to have a corrupt rpm database.  Unfortunately:
>
> # rpm -v --rebuilddb
> error: rpmdb: damaged header instance #99 retrieved, skipping.

Yep, that looks bad.

> Is there anything else I can try, or am I just seriously screwed?

Try to get a list of any sort from the rpmdb. strings on
/var/lib/rpms/Packages may get you one. rpm may be able to pull that out
of a damaged db.

move the old rpm database out of the way. Initialise a new database.
Install (saying "database only" (option to rpm)) all of the packages
again.

I believe David explained how to do this in more detail some time ago, so
it should be in the archives somewhere.

> Suggestions?  Or do I just re-install?  (Perhaps Debian this time - the idea
> of having an apt-get is getting more tempting every day)

It may be easier. And trying a new distribution could be good!

> Rasjid.

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\